I moved to a new city. I just saw my shiny new dentist for the first time. He did my exam and expressed concern about my fillings. I have had them for years. I also grind my teeth. He said the combination of my old fillings with teeth grinding is putting mercury into my system. How is that possible?
Chloe P. – Pennsylvania
I’m guessing, based on what you’re saying, that you have the old silver (amalgam) fillings. You may not have been aware of this, but they are made mostly of mercury, which is a toxin. When you grind your teeth, that likely gets some of the mercury into your system. Combine that with the fact that you said they’re old and you’re very likely to have a problem.
My suggestion is you have them removed, but you’ll need to do it safely. It’s sounds like your dentist may know what he’s doing. Ask him ifhe knows about safe amalgam removal. If he doesn’t, go see a mercury free dentist. They’ll be aware of how to do a sanitary removal.
If it’s not done right, you’re more at risk from mercury vapors than if you’d just left the fillings in. But, it sounds like you won’t want to leave them in.
This blog is brought to you by Naperville Cosmetic Dentist Dr. David Newkirk.